Living Goods is an NGO that works to reinvent how we improve the lives of the under-served. They aim to deliver life-saving products and health services to people’s doorsteps through community health workers, who are trained by the organisation.
Tapping into the potential of smartphones, they have transformed community health in Africa; equipping and deploying 7500 community health workers across Africa.
As Director of Software Engineering, you will:
- Provide leadership oversight of a growing team of software engineers; growing, mentoring, managing and inspiring.
- Be involved in technology strategy conversations as well as in general strategy meetings for the organisations.
- Be expected to have a strong understanding of the organisation’s goals, and develop a vision that translates to a technical end product that meets client needs.
- Regularly communicate on software delivery status and risks to senior management.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years across software engineering with a focus on high performing, innovative/creative and consumer-facing application and platforms
- 6+ years of leadership experience of which 5 should be direct management experience of a medium-size team i.e. 15+
- Previous hands-on experience developing web/mobile applications, transactional platforms from requirements gathering to delivery and support.
- Proven ability to efficiently manage all aspects of the software development lifecycle in an Agile environment particularly multi-tier data-driven applications.
- Has a strong Software Engineering background (knowledge in Java & Android) and deep knowledge of agile development practices, TDD/BDD, automated builds, continuous integration, Cloud & container infrastructure.
- Comfortable with integration, extension and modification of open-source tools